历年TOEFL听力最常考的55个习语结构汇编:
1)take a rain check改天吧
Model: [1998.8.北美(29)]
——Can you come over for dinner tonight? (今天晚上来吃饭好吗)
——I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a rain check.(我工作很忙,改日吧。)
2)lost count弄不清楚
Model: [2000.1.(21)]
——Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are always driving there. How many trips a week do you make anyway?(自从你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是开车去看她。一周去几次啊)
——I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyes closed.(搞不清楚了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。)
3)be in another world精神恍惚;魂不守舍
Model: [1996.5.(25)]
——Pete’s really out of it these days.(Pete这几天有点心不在焉。)
——Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in another world.(我同意。自从他遇见Ann,他就魂不守舍了。)
4)make yourself at home随意,随便
Model: [1999.8.(7)]
——Do you mind if I take off my jacket?(你介意我脱下夹克吗)
——Of course not, make yourself at home.(当然不介意,随意一点!)
5)save your breath省口气吧;别白费口舌了
Model: [1995.10.(14)]
——Hey? John! John!(嘿,John! John!)
——Save your breath. He's out of earshot.(省口气吧。他已经听不到了。)
6)make sense有意义,理解 Model: [1999.1.(29)]
——The plot of that movie is hard to follow.(那部电影的情节很难跟得上。)
——It makes more sense the second time.(再看一遍就理解了。)
7)cost sb. an arm and a leg非常昂贵
Model: [1999。1。(4)]
——Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave to Linda?(你看到Bill送给Linda的钻戒了吗)
——I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and a leg.(当然了。那一定很昂贵。)
8) burn a hole in one’s pocket很快地被花光
Model: [1997.10 ]
——Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computer yet? (你攒足钱给你的电脑买一台新打印机了吗)
——You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (这几个月我花钱如流水。也许下个月吧。)
9)fill one’s shoes很好地顶替;令人满意地替代
Model: [1997.8.]
——Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你听说Jones教授要退休了吗)
——Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes. (是的。学校将很难找到合适的人来代替她。)
10)is ice cold表示理所当然
Model: [1995.10.]
——Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford)like apples and oranges用来表示无法相比的事物
Model: [1997.1.]
——Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess or bridge?(你认为桥牌和象棋哪个更难学?)
——They are like apples and oranges. (它俩没法比较。)
12)look for a needle in a hay stack大海捞针
Model: [1990.1.]
——We are supposed to meet John here at the train station. (我们要在火车站接John。)
——That’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack .(那可真是大海捞针。)
13)lose one’s train of忘记
Model: [1995.1.]
——When you interrupted me, you made me lose my train of thought. (你打断了我的思考,我忘记我在想什么了。)
14)meet each other half way相互妥协,让步
Model: [1992.8.]
——My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I had totally different ideas about how to proceed. (我的化学课题出问题了。在进展问题上,我与我的合作者意见完全不同。)
——You should try to meet each other half way. (你们应该相互妥协。)
15)on the dot准时;正点
Model: [1992.8.]
——Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two in front of the theatre? (你和Amanda确实在差5分两点的时候到达剧院门口了吗)
——Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我俩都准点到达。)
16)once and for all最后一次;干脆
Model: [1996.1.]
——I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that music once and for all.(我要最后一次告诉我那个邻居把音乐声关小。)al style="MARGIN:
17)out of earshot不在听力所及范围
Model: [1995.10.]
——Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )
——Save your breath. He’s out of earshot.(省口气吧,他听不见。)
18)out of this world非常好
Model: [1995.10.]
——Have you tried Susan’s apple pie?(你试过Susan的苹果派吗)
——I got the last piece. And it was out of this world. (我拿到最后一块。好吃极了。)
19)play by ear随机应变,视情形而定
Model: [1989.8.]
——Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation in political science tomorrow? (Marty,你在为明天的政治学演讲准备与众不同的材料吗)
——Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion, I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。那AN>)
20) ring a bell令人想起某件事;听起来耳熟
Model: [1992.10.]
——That name just doesn’t ring a bell with me. (那个名字我一点也不熟。)
21)share a common outlook有共同的观点
Model: [1991.1.]
——Jeff and Alan share a common outlook on life. (Jeff和Alan对于生活有共同的观点。)
22)six of one and half-a-dozen of the other半斤八两;没什么区别
Model: [1989.1.]
——I can’t decide whether to take anthropology or geology this term. (我决定不了这学期是选人类学还是地理课。)
——It’s six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. (两门无甚差别。)
23)stick around在附近逗留或等待
Model: [1995.5.]
——Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (这g=EN-US>)
——Sorry, I can’t stick around. (对不起,我不能继续待在这儿了。)
24)stick with继续做,坚持
Model: [1996.8.]
——I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道这种新的冰激凌是什么味道)
——I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃过,若我是你,我会继续吃以前爱吃的那种。)
25)straighten out扯平;结清
Model: [1996.1.]
——I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night. Do you have change for a twenty? (我差点忘了。不久前的一个晚上我借了你10块钱,到现在还没还呢,你现在能找开20元的吗)
——Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,现在不能。以后再结清吧。)
26)toss and turn(身体)翻来覆去(通常表示难以入睡)
Model: [1993.1.]
——Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我辗转反侧,怎么也睡不着。)
27)turn one’s back (在别人遇到困难时)不愿帮助
Model: [1990.10.]
——He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借钱,他就会不理我。)
28)under the weather身体不适,生病
Model: [1996.10.(26)]
’s it going? (我听说这学期你在上高等物理课。这门课怎么样)
——I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我p>
30)break new ground创新
Model:
—ound in the field. (他的建筑设计是这个领域里的创新。)
31)do the trick做成功;达到理想的结果
Model:
——I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我尽力想让炉子燃起来,可不知道该按哪个键。)
——Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (这里,我相信后面按这个键,可以让炉子燃起来。)
32)drag one’s feet行动缓慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情愿
Model:
——How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal?(Bob的论文计划进展地怎P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN:
33)draw the line拒绝,拒不容忍
Model:
——Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想让我每周打扫房间。)
——That’s where I draw the line. (可是我绝对不会答应的。)
34)feel down in the dumps心情不好;情绪低落
Model:
——Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate为最近的化学作业成绩感到很沮丧。)
35)few and far between不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或发现的;稀少的
Model:
——Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不简单。)
——He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (当然p>
36)fit as a fiddle身体很健康
Model:
——Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好吗好久没看见你了。)
——I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身体好极了。我正进行的这个锻炼计划太棒了。)
37)grin and bear任劳任怨;毫无怨言地忍受
Model:
——Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做这份工作了。)
——If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. (如果你需要钱,你就得忍耐。)
38)ILY: 宋体; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">(特指吃了食物,喝了饮料之后)精神完全恢复过来或感到满足;恢复
Model: ——This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(柠檬汁太提神了。) ——And how! (当然了!) 39)keep between the two of us不让第三者知道,保密 Model: ——What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要讲的纯属私事,所以希望你能保密。) 40)know a thing or two about略知一二 Model: ——Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你认为Andy会帮我们计划去西弗吉尼亚州野营吗) ——Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每个夏天都去那儿,应该知道一些事儿。) 41)leave no stone unturned不遗余力;全力以赴 Model: ——Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴g=EN-US>) 42)on cloud nine沉浸在幸福之中P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"> Model: ——Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她为什么这么高兴吗) ——She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有一篇文章要发表了。) 43)on the tip of one’s tongue一时想不起来,话到嘴边又忘记 Model: ——Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定记不起来那张唱片的名字吗) ——It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一时想不起来了。) 44)reach the bottom of the barrel用完,弹尽粮绝 Model: ——Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (你还/SPAN> ——I guess I’ve reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已经用完了。) 45)rub sb. the wrong way使?? Model: ——What do you think of our new economics instructor? (你觉得新经济学老师怎么样) ——I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎么的,他有点让我反感。) 46)scratch the surface只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副词如only, hardly等词连用) Model: ——You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project.(你显然对你的课题做了不少研究。) ——It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事实上我只懂一些毛皮。) 47)up in the air尚未决定的;捉摸不定的;悬而未决的 Model: ——Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未决定如何度过这个周末。) 48)wear and tear磨损;消耗 Model: ——Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (为什么你老是一进公寓就穿上拖鞋) ——It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨损地毯。) 49)with flying colors大获全胜;胜利地 Model: ——How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么样) ——She passed with flying colors. (她考得好极了。) 50)get off on the wrong foot开始就不顺利;一开始就犯了个错误 Model: [1995.5.] ——I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我讨厌一开始就犯错误。) 51)get on someone’s nerves使人不安,使人心烦 Model: [1996.8.] ——Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (为什么你开会迟到我让S>) ——She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她 52)give someone a break不要去管,饶了某人吧 Model: [1994.5.] ——Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已经够紧张了。) 53)head and shoulders above(在…方面)强于某人 Model: [1991.10.] ——In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在计算机编程上,Susan比我们强。) 54)in the red赤字,负债 Model: [1996.5.] ——So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. (到AN style="FONT-FAMILY: 宋体; mso-ascii-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-hansi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">元赤字,然而还有4个月才到交会员费的时间。) ——Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我们必须提高会员费了。) 55)in the dark一无所知;不了解情况 Model: [1994.1.] ——Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道这通知讲的是什么吗) ——I’m as in the dark as you are.(我也跟你SPAN>