23)stick around在附近逗留或等待
——Leaving the party so soon? We’re just getting ready to cut the cake. (这么早就要走我们刚准备要切蛋糕。)
——Sorry, I can’t stick around. (对不起,我不能继续待在这儿了。)
24)stick with继续做,坚持
——I wonder what this new flavor of ice cream tastes like? (我想知道这种新的冰激凌是什么味道)
——I tried it last week. If I were you, I would stick with an old favorite. (上周我吃过,若我是你,我会继续吃以前爱吃的那种。)
25)straighten out扯平;结清
——I almost forgot. I still owe you ten dollars from the other night. Do you have change for a twenty? (我差点忘了。不久前的一个晚上我借了你10块钱,到现在还没还呢,你现在能找开20元的吗)
——Oh, not at the moment. Let’s just straighten it out some other time. (哦,现在不能。以后再结清吧。)
26)toss and turn(身体)翻来覆去(通常表示难以入睡)
——Last night I tossed and turned in bed, too exhausted to sleep. (昨晚我辗转反侧,怎么也睡不着。)
27)turn one’s back (在别人遇到困难时)不愿帮助
——He’ll turn his back on me if I ask for money. (我若向他借钱,他就会不理我。)
28)under the weather身体不适,生病
——It’s good to see you, Mary. How have you been? (看见你真高兴,Mary。你好吗)
——Actually I have been feeling under the weather recently. (其实这两天我身子不大舒服。)
29)bite off more than one can chew贪多嚼不烂;心有余而力不足;不自量力;力不从心
——I hear you’ve been taking an advanced physics course this semester. How’s it going? (我听说这学期你在上高等物理课。这门课怎么样)
——I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我是 0cm 0cm 0pt"> 30)break new ground创新
——His architectural design broke new ground in the field. (他的建筑设计是这个领域里的创新。)
31)do the trick做成功;达到理想的结果
——I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我尽力想让炉子燃起来,可不知道该按哪个键。)
——Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (这里,我相信后面按这个键,可以让炉子燃起来。)
32)drag one’s feet行动缓慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情愿
——How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal?(Bob的论文计划进展地怎么样了)
——He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。)
33)draw the line拒绝,拒不容忍
——Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想让我每周打扫房间。)
——That’s where I draw the line. (可是我绝对不会答应的。)
34)feel down in the dumps心情不好;情绪低落
——Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate为最近的化学作业成绩感到很沮丧。)
35 ——He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (当然。像他那样的人可不多见。)
36)fit as a fiddle身体很健康
——Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好吗好久没看见你了。)
——I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身体好极了。我正进行的这个锻炼计划太棒了。)
37)grin and bear任劳任怨;毫无怨言地忍受
——Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做这份工作了。)
——If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. (如果你需要钱,你就得忍耐。)
38)hit the spot(特指吃了食物,喝了饮料之后)精神完全恢复过来或感到满足;恢复精力;提">
——This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(柠檬汁太提神了。)
——And how! (当然了!)
39)keep between the two of us不让第三者知道,保密
——What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要讲的纯属私事,所以希望你能保密。)
40)know a thing or two about略知一二
——Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你认为Andy会帮我们计划去西弗吉尼亚州野营吗)
——Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每个夏天都去那儿,应该知道一些事儿。)
41)leave no stone unturned不遗余力;全力以赴
——Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇优秀的论文。)
42)on cloud nine沉浸在幸福之中;非常高兴
——Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她为什么这么高兴吗)
——She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有
43)on the tip of one’s tongue一时想不起来,话到嘴边又忘记 ——Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定记不起来那张唱片的名字吗) ——It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一时想不起来了。) 44)reach the bottom of the barrel用完,弹尽粮绝 ——Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (我想我已经用完了。) 45)rub sb. the wrong way使(某人)有点恼火;惹怒;引起反感;烦扰,打搅 ——What do you think of our new economics instructor? (你觉得新经济学老师怎么样) ——I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎么的,他有点让我反感。) 46)scratch the surface只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副词如only, hardly等词连用) ——You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project.(你显然对你的课题做了不少研究。) ——It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事实上我只懂一些毛皮。) 47)up in the air尚未决定的;捉摸不定的;悬而未决的 ——Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未决定如何度过这个周末。) 48)wear and tear磨损;消耗 ——Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (为什么你老是一进公寓就穿上拖鞋) ——It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨损地毯。) 49)with flying colors大获全胜;胜利地 ——How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么样) ——She passed with flying colors. (她考得好极了。) 50)get off on the wrong foot开始就不顺利;一开始就犯cm 0pt"> ——I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我讨厌一开始就犯错误。) 51)get on someone’s nerves使人不安m 0cm 0pt"> ——Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (为什么你开会迟到我让你的同屋告诉你改时间的事了。) ——She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她记性不好,有时真让我心烦。) 52)give someone a break不要去管,饶了某人吧 ——Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已经够紧张了。) 53)head and shoulders above(在…方面)强于某人 ——In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在计算机编程上,Susan比我们强。) 54)in the red赤字,负债 ——So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. (到目前为止,俱乐部有300元赤字,然而还有4个月才到交会员费的时间。) ——Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我们必须提高会员费了。) 55)in the dark一无所知;不了解情况 ——Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道这通知讲的是什么吗) ——I’m as in the dark as you are.(我也跟你一